Wednesday, July 4, 2007

103 km - Finch to Holland Canal


"The way there is a little hilly but the Kettleby Bakery provides some respite and the Holland Marsh is as flat as the prairies. Lance Armstrong's teammate, Canadian Michael Barry, used to time trial on West Canal Bank Road and now you can ride it too."

Saturday was my first 100 km+ ride. I confess the 100 km concept was a bit scary but I knew that I could do it. The weather was absolutely perfect. It wasn't too hot and there was a cool breeze. This breeze did become a bit of a headwind in places but I'm finding that headwinds like hills are to be accepted and endured. Speaking of hills, there were a goodly number on the way out but as promised, the marsh was nice and flat. The way home wasn't too hilly either.

I was really tired on Saturday evening and felt some more muscle twinges on Sunday than I usually do. I'm not sure if the muscles were complaining at the 100 km or at the slight adjustments I made to Bryn last week. I went to Cycle Therapy and had a proper fitting which hopefully will fix a couple of little problems I've been having. Bryn is in the shop this week for a major fixing and pre-ride tuning.

Distance (according to my slightly inaccurate computer): 107 km
Av Speed: 20.2 km/h
Max Speed: 54 km/h (I don't really believe this number)
Ride Time: 5:09:45

1 comment:

Anna said...

Congratulations on your 100 km ride! Better watch out where you ride - you could get ticketed for that 54 km/h in certain places!
A.