Monday, June 18, 2007

87 km - Kennedy Subway to Musselman Lake


"A rewarding ride out to Cedar Beach on the shores of beautiful Musselman Lake. The route meanders through the charming little town of Unionville on the way back to Toronto."

This week I did Sunday's training ride because I had the pleasure of spending Saturday celebrating my nephew's 6th birthday (in case you've been counting, I'm up to three nephews. I also have a niece but her birthday isn't until October).
The theme was turtles so auntie was asked to ice the cake to look like a turtle (my sister had done all the hard work of baking the cakes). It was a quick job and perhaps not my best work but my nephew and his friends were impressed (kid cake tip: anything with candy on it is impressive to small fry).



Back to the training ride: Sunday was beautiful and sunny. Heading out to Musselman Lake there was a significant headwind. I was riding along thinking that even though I was heading downhill, it was taking a great deal of effort (too much cake?). Thankfully someone came up behind me and mentioned he was finding the wind a challenge. Someone at the break compared the ride out to riding through quicksand so I didn't feel so bad about my very slow progress. By the time I got to the break I was ready to stop and have a rest.


Cedar Beach at the lake was very pleasant. There were lots of folk enjoying the sun and beach. I was assured by my fellow riders that the way back would be much easier. I left the break hoping for the best.

The way back was fantastic, it was primarily downhill and had a tailwind. It felt like I flew part of the way back. As promised Unionville was cute and charming.


Although it was quite hot, I didn't find the heat too bad (I drank lots of water and sports drink) until I got closer to Toronto. As I got back into the city it felt like the heat was coming up from the ground. By the time I got back to Kennedy subway station I was very glad to be finished but proud that I'd survive 87 km. I'm beginning to believe that I can do 100 km.

To update you on the commuting. I rode twice to work last week and it went really well.

No comments: