Thursday, May 17, 2007

Training ride 5 - Kennedy - Rouge Valley 49 km

Humble apologies for being so late with this update. It is encouraging to know how many people actually read my blog, I've heard from a number of you this week!

Here's the bike rally website`s blurb about last Saturday's ride: "This route takes you through the scenic Rouge Park by the lake, over a footbridge crossing the Rouge River and then along the valley and around the Metro Zoo."

I think this was my favourite ride so far. It didn't take too horribly long to get out of the busier part of the city. The route was quite pretty and there were good stretches without street lights or stop signs. There were more hills than I would have liked but I managed them reasonably well. I find that if I get all tense about the hill, I have a harder time but when I concentrate on keeping my feet moving and relax, I do alright. It also helps to hum a happy tune, fortunately I had the great Caribbean Medley stuck in my brain from Laurie`s recent UofT Gospel Choir concert (if you ever get a chance to see the UofT Gospel Choir in action you won`t be sorry; they`re amazing!).

The best part of this ride was that I didn`t get lost once! I was concerned because the route was quite twisty and there were a goodly numbers of turns to watch out for. I think it also helped that I had other riders in sight most of the time (although its never a good idea to follow blindly, I learned that a couple of weeks ago). This week`s photos were taken where we crossed the footbridge crossing the Rouge River.

I`ll try to do better this weekend with my update.

Cheers!

No comments: