Saturday, May 19, 2007

Training ride 6 - Finch to Lake Wilcox 50 km

"A ride to the pretty little Lake Wilcox in the Richmond Hill area. Features a break at Grandma's Bakery, a popular stop for the cyclists of the infamous local "Donut Ride"."

Today was pretty well perfect for a ride. It was sunny but not too hot or windy. The route was basically a big square. We rode north up Bayview into Richmond Hill across King Street and down Dufferin. I find that Toronto is fairly predictable in terms of terrain. Generally if you're going north, you're going to be heading uphill. Richmond Hill was no different. The climb to the lake was fairly gentle but steadily upwards. Here's a photo taken from the top of a particularly long climb.

Thankfully there wasn't much climbing after this one (before the break). It wasn't too long after this hill that we arrived at Lake Wilcox and the break at Gramma's Oven Bakery. The route description said this place was popular with cyclists but I didn't realize it would be that popular. The place was hopping with spandex and the click of clipless pedal shoes. I bought a yummy poppy seed danish but saved it until the end of the ride. I nibbled my Clif bar on the way down Dufferin.

Although the route home was basically downhill, there were a few uphill sections. Thank heavens for coasting.

Next week I won't be doing the official training ride because I'll be helping out with Doors Open Toronto at the City of Toronto Archives. Frankly I'm a bit nervous from here on in. I know I can do 50 km, I've done it before but more than 50 km is new for me. The next training ride I'll do is 72 km. YIKES! I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anna said...

No problem Auntie!!

A few more of those poppyseed danishes ought to set you up nicely for 72 km. Just stash them in your panniers.

Happy Victoria Day!
A.