Monday, August 6, 2007

Day Two - Port Hope to Adolphustown 124 km

July 30, 2007

Something they don't tell you before heading out on the bike rally is that morning comes very early. The morning of day two began for me at 5:30 am. I hadn't really slept well anyway but it still seemed early. Breakfast was served each morning starting at 6:15. We were expected to eat and break camp by 8am. After a few days I got more efficient at striking my tent and repacking my bins so I was able to sleep in eventually till 6 am (ooh ah!).

On the morning of day two, we were joined by Breakfast Television which was somewhat exciting (except for their truck backing up making beeping noises very early in the morning). They filmed a few short segments, interviewing some of our many interesting riders (we were all quite interesting but there was only so much time). Soon enough it was time to depart for our longest day. In order to put on a good show we were told to cycle out of the campsite in two lines. The effect was quite neat as we were all wearing our red jerseys (with the names of our major sponsors on the back).


This was our longest day. We had two breaks before lunch. Lunch wasn't until 79 km (usually lunch was around the 60 km mark). I didn't get to lunch until close to 2pm. The day was hot and I thought I was doing a great job hydrating with sports drinks and keeping my energy up by eating Clif bars... until I discovered why you shouldn't eat too many of them... enough said.

I felt pretty lousy most of the afternoon but my riding buddy Sharon was very sympathetic and I made it through to the campsite near Adolphustown. The enormous hill that was threatened right at the end of the day's ride turned out not to be all that bad (I eventually took everything my fellow riders said about hills with a grain of salt). The highlight of the day was a very scenic lunch spot under the shady trees of Henderson House B&B and a ride on the Glenora Ferry (although there was some talk of ice cream that never came to fruition).


The day ended in a really nice camp ground near Adolphustown. I had a moment of panic when Laurie reported that she couldn't find my bins but I quickly discovered that my team had kindly moved them for me to their camping area. The evening's theme was Rocky Horror Picture Show, so the evening's activity of bingo was somewhat silly. I played a couple of rounds and then crawled off to bed and slept like a log.

No comments: